Working at an Election
Help us to deliver democracy!
The ECQ is currently recruiting Returning Officers and Assistant Returning Officers to work across Queensland at the Local Government Quadrennial Elections, which are due to be held on 28 March 2020.
We need talented, motivated people with management experience to join us for eight – 10 weeks in these important roles.
A Returning Officer conducts an election in a local government area on behalf of the ECQ and with our support and direction. It is a management position that involves co-ordinating people and resources on a large scale. A Returning Officer should have exceptional organisational and communication skills as well as experience managing people and projects. They must perform their duties in accordance with the Local Government Act and other policies and procedures.
Assistant Returning Officer
The Assistant Returning Officer assists the Returning Officer in performing their duties. They may be appointed to act as the Returning Officer during a vacancy or any period when the Returning Officer is absent or unable to perform the functions of the office.
To apply for the above roles you must meet the following criteria:
- You are enrolled to vote on the Queensland electoral roll
- You hold a current driver’s licence
- You are over 18 years of age
- You must not be a member of a political party
- You must act with political neutrality in all aspects of your work and refrain from engaging in political activity which could be seen to adversely reflect your neutrality
- You are able to work irregular hours if required
- Successful applicants will be subject to a criminal history check.
Successful applicants will be required to attend mandatory training of up to five days, which may include travel. It is expected this training will be conducted between September - November 2019.
How to apply
The positions are advertised on the Queensland Government’s Smart Jobs website.
Simply click here and follow the instructions under ‘How to apply’ in the role description.
Applications close 22 April 2019.
Please note that an expression of interest (EOI) for all other
If you're interested in working at the 2019 federal election, you will need to register with the Australian Electoral Commission.