The ECQ has an active compliance program that can involve assessments, audits, and investigations. These are carried out in partnership with other relevant agencies to ensure the integrity of Queensland elections and election participants. If you receive a letter from the ECQ asking for additional information about your disclosures, you should respond and provide all information as soon as possible, or contact the ECQ if you have any concerns.
The ECQ works with election participants to help them meet their obligations and obey regulations relating to:
- donation and expenditure disclosure
- unlawful donations - anonymous donations, gifts of foreign property, prohibited donors
- integrity and serious integrity offences.
Non-compliance means the ECQ may:
- recover unlawful donations
- issue a formal warning
- issue one or more penalty infringement notices
- proceed to prosecution.