Enrol or update your enrolment

Voting is compulsory for all Australian citizens over the age of 18. If you don’t vote, you may receive a fine.

The Queensland electoral roll is maintained by the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC).

Check your enrolment or enrol

Check your enrolment, enrol to vote or update your details on the Australian Electoral Commission website.

If you are not able to sign your name, you can use this form to enrol to vote. You can choose to register as a special postal voter, and have ballot materials automatically sent to you for each election. There may also be help available for you at the polling booth.

Eligibility requirements

It's compulsory to enrol and vote in council, state and federal government elections if you:

  • are an Australian citizen or eligible British subject;
  • are aged 18 years or over
  • have lived at your address for at least one month.

If you are aged 16 or 17 , you can provisionally enrol and this means you can vote as soon as you turn 18.

Once you have enrolled, your name and address will be added to the electoral roll.

A copy of the Queensland electoral roll is available for public inspection at the Electoral Commission Queensland office in Brisbane. The AEC can arrange access to the Commonwealth electoral roll.

Special enrolment options

Special enrolment categories are available for people with specific needs. For instance:

  • no fixed address: you don’t have a permanent home address
  • long term travellers within Australia: you will return to your enrolled address
  • overseas electors: you are an Australian citizen living, working, or travelling overseas
  • special postal voters: it is difficult for you to attend a polling booth due to distance or personal circumstances
  • Prisoners: if you are on remand and not yet sentenced to a term of imprisonment, or in periodic detention, or serving a term of less than three years in imprisonment you must still vote
  • silent electors: you think that having your address shown on the roll could endanger you or your family.

For detailed information about the special enrolment options available to you and to enrol online or download a form, go to the AEC website.

Removal from the roll

There are limited circumstances in which a person’s name can be removed from the electoral roll.

The AEC updates the roll based on information from Queensland’s Births, Deaths and Marriages Registry. If you believe someone should be removed from the roll, you can submit a form PDF (0.65 MB) to the AEC.

You can also notify the AEC of the death of a friend or family member using its online form.

If you believe someone should be removed from the electoral roll, please fill in this form PDF (0.65 MB).

Current enrolment figures

View the current enrolment figures which are updated monthly.