2020 State General Election
Queensland’s 2020 general election voting period is from Monday 19 October to election day, Saturday 31 October.
Applications for postal voting are open now.
The ECQ is opening postal vote applications early, from 14 September to 16 October, to allow more time for electors to apply. Postal votes will be sent to electors following the close of candidate nominations and ballot paper draw in mid-October.
Read the statutory notice PDF (0.05 MB)
Voting in the 2020 State general election
Electors have a range of voting options with expanded services designed to make voting easy and fair. Information is regularly updated.
- Early voting – Monday 19 October to Friday 30 October (excluding Sunday 25 October). There are extended voting hours, including voting on Saturday 24 October – a first for a Queensland general election
- Postal voting – any elector can apply for a postal vote online, by calling 1300 881 665 or by returning the form by Friday 16 October. The timeframe for postal vote applications has been expanded in accordance with the Electoral Act 1992.
- Telephone voting – available for eligible electors only. To learn more read the telephone voting fact sheet PDF (0.72 MB).
- Election day – the final day for Queensland to vote is Saturday 31 October. Polling booths will be open from 8am to 6pm.
COVID-19 continues to be a factor in elections during 2020. The ECQ's Statement of Intent PDF (0.24 MB) outlines services being provided to ensure Queenslanders can vote safely. There are three principles:
- working with health advice from the Chief Health Officer
- building on successful provisions implemented during March’s local government elections, and
- ensuring electors are enfranchised.
The ECQ’s guiding principles in delivering the 2020 state government election
ELECTION HEALTH MEASURES
The ECQ’s planning aligns with legislation passed by the Queensland Parliament to facilitate the safe conduct of the election, acknowledging the Queensland Government’s Statement of principles governing the conduct of the COVID-19 Queensland General Election.