Richmond Shire Council by-election
The Electoral Commission of Queensland acknowledges the Traditional Owners of country where the by-election is being conducted, and their connection to land and community. We pay our respects to all Traditional Owners, and Elders past, present and emerging.
A by-election for the Richmond Shire Council is being held during July 2021. The by-election was triggered by a councillor’s resignation. Early voting will be on Thursday 8 July and Friday 9 July, with election day on Saturday 10 July.
View the notice of election PDF (0.1 MB).
Key dates for the election can be viewed on the election timetable.
Candidate nominations closed at noon on Tuesday 22 June 2021.
Work at the election
During an election there are multiple casual roles available, and each position has its own set of tasks, competencies and attributes.
All temporary election staff are paid, and receive training and support.
If you are interested in working at the by-election, click here to find out more about eligibility and the roles available.
Enrol or update your details
Enrol to vote or update your details at aec.gov.au.
Ways to cast your vote
Election day is Saturday 10 July 2021.
Early voting is on Thursday 8 July and Friday 9 July 2021.
Enter your address here to find your local polling place or early voting centre.
Ballot papers will be printed and dispatched after the ballot paper order draw on Tuesday 22 June 2021.
Complete your vote and return it as soon as you receive it. You must complete your vote by 6pm Saturday 10 July 2021, and the ECQ must receive it by Tuesday 20 July 2021 for your vote to be counted.
In consultation with health authorities, the ECQ implemented a COVID-safe plan for all polling places and vote counting venues.
Returning Officers and supervisors are provided with guidance and resources to ensure all returning offices, polling places and vote counting venues are set up to protect voters, election staff and scrutineers from exposure to COVID-19. Measures implemented include:
- training for election staff
- actively maintaining social distancing
- use of contact tracing registers
- frequent cleaning
- provision of hand sanitation facilities, and
- use of daily checklists to ensure measures are maintained for the entire election period.
All measures are implemented based on advice from Queensland’s Chief Health Officer.
Key election dates
- Notice of Election – Friday 11 June 2021.
- Candidate nominations open - Friday 11 June 2021.
- Close of electoral roll – Thursday 17 June 2021.
- Candidate nominations close – Tuesday 22 June 2021, 12pm (noon).
- Ballot paper order draw – Tuesday 22 June 2021, 2.30pm.
- Postal vote applications close – Monday 28 June 2021.
- Early voting - Thursday 8 July 2021 to Friday 9 July 2021
- Election day – Saturday 10 July 2021, 8am to 6pm.
Name: Ben Chapman
RO Office: Richmond Council Chambers. 65 Goldring Street, Richmond, QLD Australia 4822.