Mapoon Aboriginal Shire Council By-election
The Electoral Commission of Queensland acknowledges the Traditional Owners of country where the by-election is being conducted, and their connection to land and community. We pay our respects to all Traditional Owners, and Elders past, present and emerging.
A by-election for councillor in Mapoon Aboriginal Shire Council was planned to be held in September.
The Electoral Commission of Queensland received one candidate nomination, therefore the nominee, Kiri Tabuai, has been declared the elected candidate.
View the notice of election PDF (0.11 MB).
Candidate nominations closed at 12pm on Monday 6 September 2021.
In consultation with health authorities, the ECQ implemented a COVID-safe plan for all polling places and vote counting venues.
Returning Officers and supervisors are provided with guidance and resources to ensure all returning offices, polling places and vote counting venues are set up to protect voters, election staff and scrutineers from exposure to COVID-19. Measures planned included:
- sign in using the Check in Qld app
- actively maintaining social distancing
- frequent cleaning
- provision of hand sanitation facilities, and
- use of daily checklists to ensure measures are maintained for the entire election period.
All measures are implemented based on advice from Queensland’s Chief Health Officer.
Key election dates
- Notice of Election – Friday 27 August 2021.
- Candidate nominations open - Friday 27 August 2021.
- Close of electoral roll – Thursday 2 September 2021.
- Candidate nominations close – Monday 6 September 2021, 12pm (noon).
- Ballot paper order draw – Monday 6 September 2021, 2.30pm.
- Postal vote applications close – Monday 13 September 2021.
- Early voting - Friday 24 September 2021, 9am to 6pm.
- Election day – Saturday 25 September 2021, 8am to 6pm.
Name: Natalie Beattie
RO Office: Jimmy Jean Centre, Red Beach Road MAPOON 4874