Candidates are the people who run for an election. Successfully elected candidates represent the community:
- as a Member of Parliament when elected at a state election
- as a Mayor or Councillor when elected at a local government election
Who is eligible?
To nominate as a candidate, you must be:
- at least 18 years old
- an Australian citizen
- enrolled on the Queensland electoral roll
- live in the local government area for local government elections.
Who can’t be a candidate?
The ECQ and returning officers cannot give eligibility advice. If you’re in doubt of your eligibility, please seek independent legal advice. The Queensland Legislation website provides further information on disqualifications.
- For state elections, read the Parliament of Queensland Act 2001, section 64
- For Brisbane City Council elections, read the City of Brisbane Act 2010, section 153
- For all other local government elections, read the Local Government Act 2009, section 153
Nominees must pay a $250 deposit at the time of nomination. For state government nomination, you can pay the deposit by cash or bank cheque. For local government elections, you can pay by cash, bank cheque, credit card or EFTPOS in person at the ECQ head office. Please note we cannot accept personal cheques under any circumstances.
We refund nomination deposits to candidates who:
- withdraw consent to the nomination before 12 noon on the day of nomination closure
- are successfully elected
- receive 6% (state) or 4% (local) of the formal first preference votes in their nominated area.
Forming a group of candidates
Candidates nominating for local government elections can register as a group to combine their fundraising and promotional efforts.
Further information regarding groups is available on the 2020 local government elections page.
Funding and disclosure obligations
All candidates and political parties have funding and disclosure obligations, it is the responsibility of each candidate and political party to ensure they are informed about their obligations by reading the funding and disclosure section on this website.
For all handbooks, guides and, forms visit the handbooks and forms page.