Registering a political party
Registration of a political party is not compulsory however it does afford a number of benefits and entitlements. The political party handbook (PDF, 428.8 KB) provides detailed information on registering a political party in Queensland.
A registered political party:
- has the party name next to its candidate on a ballot paper
- is entitled to reimbursement of election expenditure
- is granted access to a copy of the electoral roll.
The party must satisfy all of the following eligibility criteria to register:
- provide a written constitution which outlines the party aims and complies with the Electoral Act 1992
- has at least 500 members on the electoral roll or an elected member of parliament
- promotes and endorses the election of a candidate to Queensland parliament.
Completed forms can be lodged to ECQ in person or via post.